- Top 100 brands in China with the best reputation (Marketing Interactive)
- Huawei is better than Apple in the eyes of Chinese consumers despite their preference for global companies, new poll reveals (South China Morning Post)
→ 中企加速并购国际时尚品牌 投后本土化改造是关键 Chinese companies to accelerate acquisitions of international fashion brands – after the merger, localized transformation is key (Caijing) With more and more foreign brands or even completely unknown brands entering the Chinese market, the next question is: can China’s consumer market fully digest them ?
- 拟8.44亿元收购法国Kidiliz集团 森马服饰童装版图进一步扩大CNY 844 million acquisition of the French group Kidiliz – Semir Garments expands its children’s wear activities (WinShang)
- China’s Semir and French kids fashion group Kidiliz to merge (Fashion United)
POSITIVE PRESS COVERAGE
→ Xiaomi Expands in Europe With First Store in Paris (Bloomberg) The U.S. may prove to be a whole different ball game. A tough stance by President Donald Trump against Chinese technology companies has already caused turmoil for the likes of ZTE Corp. and Huawei Technologies Co.
→ Huawei’s Honor brand breaks out in Britain as Chinese smartphone makers buck Europe’s slowdown (South China Morning Post) The two leading smartphone vendors in Europe, Samsung and Apple, reported 15.4 per cent and 5.4 per cent declines in shipments during the first quarter, while Chinese brands Huawei and Xiaomi expanded shipments by 38.6 per cent and over 999 per cent respectively.
→ L’Oréal connects with Chinese consumers through new WeChat HeyTea campaign (Global Cosmetics News) Not for sale to the general public, the Hey Tea x L’Oréal lipstick gift box can be won through giveaways or purchased in the Hey Tea online shop using its member points. Spread out across WeChat, Weibo, and Douyin, there are unique giveaways on each platform with WeChat asking consumers to leave a comment sharing why they want the lipstick set.
- 36岁”精致男”每天花半个小时”化妆” 化妆品比老婆多 36-year-old “exquisite man” spends half an hour a day in grooming, uses more cosmetics than his wife (Sichuan Online)
CHINESE BRANDS DAY
→ 《2018互联网+中国品牌发展报告》：转型与均衡 中国品牌带来“美好生活” (Caijing) On May 10, 2017 was launched the “Chinese brands day”. One year later, how far have they gone in meeting their objectives ? What hurdles and challenges did they have to face ?
- 从符合高标准到满足高需求 青岛啤酒打造中国品牌名片 From meeting high standards to meeting global demand – Qingdao Beer to create Chinese brand name card (China News)
- 何晓庆：奇瑞已成为中国品牌在海外的一张名片 He Xiaoqing: Chery has become a business card for Chinese brands overseas (Xinhua)
- 第四届中法品牌高峰论坛巴黎举办，法国设计“碰撞”中国品牌 The third China-France Brand Summit Forum held in Paris, French designs “collide” with Chinese brands (zynews)
NEGATIVE PRESS COVERAGE
→ Gap apologizes for China T-shirt that didn’t include Taiwan (CNN) A user on Chinese social network Weibo posted photos of a T-shirt they said was on sale at a Gap store in Canada, complaining that its design left out Taiwan and islands claimed by Beijing in the South China Sea. The US clothing brand is the latest international company to find itself in hot water over Chinese territorial issues.
→Etam sells China ready-to-wear operations to Hong Kong investor (Retail News Asia) The deal includes the local businesses of brands Etam Weekend, ES and E & Joy, as well as a license agreement for the use of trademarks using the name Etam. However, the French textile company will retain its lingerie business, which is trading well, internationally, including in China.
- 艾格中国业务转手 一代青春品牌缘何陨落 Etam’s Chinese business changes hands – the reasons why this brand for the young generation has failed (Beijing Business Today)
→Chinese netizens unimpressed by Meghan Markle’s Givenchy gown (Jing Daily) Retailers can no longer rely on respect for Western brands – on the contrary – many young Chinese shoppers are choosing to purchase closer to home, as more local talent evolves.
→ Luxury brands still struggle to Crack the red hot Chinese market, but they’re adapting (Forbes) To build up interest in a brand in China from a low base takes a strong marketing strategy and money. This is something that luxury firms, both foreign and domestic, have to face.
→ 扩大进口进什么？化妆品、母婴用品、钟表眼镜需求高What kind of imports are on the rise ? Cosmetics, baby products, clocks, watches and glasses (Caixin) As consumers are most concerned about safety and consumer demand for imported goods is strong, distribution companies are relatively cautious about increasing supply
- 香港被查72万假化妆品护肤品 新型售假手段曝光 720,000 fake cosmetics and skin care products uncovered in Hong Kong. New method of selling fakes exposed (Sina)
- 有机认证难，中国天然护肤品有点“尴尬” Facing difficulties in obtaning organic certifications, China’s natural skin care industry slighty « embarrassed » (Xinmim)
→ ZTE to Replace Top Exec as China Seeks to Lift U.S. Ban (Bloomberg) ZTE Corp., the Chinese telecom company that’s become a focal point of the nation’s trade dispute with the U.S., has replaced one of its most powerful executives in a move that may signal efforts to placate American demands.
- ofo与凤凰自行车采购订单仅完成37% 专家称:调整商业逻辑成突破 Only 37 % of the Phoenix bikes ordered by ofo are completed Experts say the bike industry needs adjustment (Caijing)
- Phoenix makes 5-million-bike deal with ofo (China Daily)
- 私家自行车被共享单车淹没 堵得严严实实难突围Private bikes are swamped by shared bicycles (Beijing Wanbao)